Friday, May 21, 2010

Essay Writing: Challenges and Conquests

Writing essays has never been one of my favorite things, although believe it or not, I've come to feel more confident in my essay writing this year and therefore enjoyed writing them much more. I do think I am well on my way to being an accomplished essayist, but not quite there yet. I still struggle on some categories, but do think that with all the writing help I've gotten this year that I will be a successful writer the rest of my English years. Literary analysis has helped me get a deeper meaning and although is a hassle at the time, really does help in the long run. I've come to search for symbols, figurative language, themes, character development, and so on, naturally now.

After looking and the rubric and then reading over my essay I noticed that I repeatedly made the same mistakes over and over again. I tend to over use the same word because I think that I need to so that it ties into the thesis throughout the entire essay. The repetitiveness is very obvious and makes the flow of the writing choppy. I also find myself writing my essay to someone who hasn't read the book and summarizing the quote after citing it, when really I should be using my own words and ideas. I will edit my essay and work on these things this weekend and hopefully turn in a mistake-free essay Monday!

1 comment: